Thursday, November 3, 2011

My Dying Bride @ London Astoria 2 • December 19, 1996


Ah, witnessing two legendary British metal acts in a five day stretch -- I had seen Cradle of Filth five days before (see my CoF review). My exposure to My Dying Bride was limited to skimming through 'As The Flower Withers' not being very memorable.

Walking around the venue had its moments, among staring closely at Rick Miah's (MDB drummer at the time) girlfriend. Her long blonde hair and black outfit defined what a rockstar's wife should always look like. Doom metal was hard to digest, given thrash & death metal was way more popular. However, seeing it live totally changed my view.

Aaron Stainthorpe's stage antics reminded me of seeing a Shakespeare play. He was emotional yet cunning and very un-metal. For the first time I saw a violinist perform with a metal band, and amazingly, it fit perfect -- Martin Powell deserves tremendous recognition. "Cry of Mankind" is one of the best doom metal songs of all time which MDB executed flawlessly. The show ended with a classic old song that involved deep cookie monster vocals, fast double bass drums, and genuine fast picking guitar riffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment