Thursday, November 3, 2011

Dream Theater @ Vic Theatre Sometime in '98


Think back when luck was the only thing on your agenda. You found a $20 bill on the floor, green lights all the way home, boss did not yell at you for coming in late, she/he finally said yes to that long awaited date. You know what I'm talking about? Similarly, luck was on my side for this show.

Notice the ticket stub has no date and a number 46 written in black marker. Not in one million years would I imagine it falling into my hands. A friend of mine from Tampa (a huge Dream Theater fan) recommended I check out this show. It was on a week day and had no plans in the evening nor was I familiar with Dream Theater so what's the worst that could happen? As my turn arrived to purchase a ticket, the counter lady said, "Sorry, the guy before you bought the last one and the show is sold out!" My jaw dropped and thought the worst took over. Sooner than you could say "Mike Oxsmall" the counter lady reaches over and says, "Here you know what…just take this….it's no problem…enjoy the concert!" Low and behold it's a free guest pass that was unclaimed! Holy fuck! I get to see Dream Theater for free.

Now onto the gig, there was no support band. Dream Theater reached a point where they could tour by themselves. Selling out the 1500 capacity Vic Theatre is an achievement especially on a weekday. Having no idea what to expect I grab a seat in the upper balcony and wait. Lights are off, band appears, show has begun and everyone is standing & yelling. This is absolutely killer. Dream Theater has a tendency to cover classic tunes while in the middle of one of their originals and they certainly did not stop here. Not sure which song it was, but out of nowhere they jump into "The Trooper", then "Moby Dick", followed by "Have a Cigar."

I don't care if it costs me $50.00 for a shot of Jaeger at the Vic, I will always support this place because of how I was treated. Overall, it was an absolutely amazing gig and experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment